Monday, January 11, 2010

Unfried Beans


Yes, this is the second consecutive post about beans, but they are such a staple in my diet that I had to share another recipe.  Every Thursday night my daughter and I do Mexican night.  We dine on burritos which consist of a sprouted grain tortilla (I like Alvarado Street Bakery's tortillas) wrapped around avocados, lettuce, Organic Valley raw milk cheddar, sauteed bell peppers, corn, cilantro and onions, salsa, and re-fried beans.  So what was I to do without a can of re-fried beans?  I had a recipe for some kidney bean dip, so I decided to try and make it with pinto beans and a few other modifications.  It turned out deliciously.  Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
3-4 cloves garlic, crushed and diced
2 cups cooked pinto beans
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
salt and pepper, to taste
1 lime, juiced

Directions:
Heat the oil and saute the onion and garlic until soft, adding the garlic after the onion has been cooking for a few minutes (this will prevent the garlic from burning). 
Add the pinto beans, tomato paste, and spices, and cook for a few minutes.
Take the pan off the heat, add the lime juice, and allow to cool for a few minutes.  Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
In a food processor, process the mixture, adding water to desired consistency.
Serve immediately, refrigerate for a few days, or freeze for up to three months.

1 comment: