Monday, January 11, 2010

Waffles


Every time I go to the store I'm tempted to buy frozen waffles.  They're so easy and yummy, but they're overpriced and over-packaged.  So I got my 5-year-old daughter a Belgian waffle maker for Christmas, and we made our own frozen waffles.  After cooling them on wire racks, I stacked them and slipped them into a bread bag, which I save for things like this.  Then into the freezer they go, until breakfast when the toaster oven heats and crisps them perfectly.

For the waffle recipe, I used Sally Fallon's soaked grain recipe which is more nutrient-dense than traditional waffle recipes.  Soaking grains in a soured or cultured milk, buttermilk, or cream breaks down the phytic acid in the bran of the grains, and allows our bodies to better absorb the many nutrients of the whole grain wheat. 

Serves 6.
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups buttermilk
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
2 Tbsp maple syrup
2 Tbsp melted butter
1 tsp sea salt
4 egg whites
pinch of sea salt

Directions:
Soak flour in buttermilk on countertop for 12 hours. 
Stir in egg yolks, syrup, melted butter and salt.
In a clean bowl, beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff.  Fold into batter.
Cook in a waffle iron according to manufacturers instructions.

Unfortunately, although the flavor was good, the texture of the resulting waffles was also more dense.  I'll keep searching for a perfect recipe.


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment